was anindependentboardingpreparatory schoolinGlassnearHuntlyAberdeenshireuntil its closure in 1993. The site is now owned and used by a Christian organisation called Ellel Ministries Internationalas a prayer, training and healing retreat centre.
Blairmore School was established in 1947 as an independentprep schoolfor boys aged 813 by Colonel D.R. Ainslie D.S.O., B.A., a keen educationalist,Cambridgegraduate and retiredSeaforth Highlander. The school turned co-ed in 1975.
Pupil numbers peaked at 90 in 1989 but the economic recession of the early 1990s caused a decline in UK prep school subscriptions and in June 1993, with fewer than 30 pupils enrolled for the coming academic year, Blairmore became impossible to sustain financially and the school was forced to close.
The school was small and isolated in the country. Pupils were encouraged to spend time outdoors, taking advantage of the schools extensive grounds and rural surroundings. Daily sports were an integral part of the curriculum, whileScoutingand camping were a key part of Blairmore life. Blairmore had its own riding school and stables at some stage, a woodland assault course, a ski-slope and Britains only school ski tow.
In the evenings and at weekends, the woodlands around the school provided an ideal playground for the young boys and girls. Dressed in their Woods Clothes (as casual clothes were known), pupils playedconkers, climbed trees and constructed dens, known as cols (short for colonies), from which raids were launched against rival groups.
The school was divided into four houses, named after rivers in the North-East of Scotland: Deveron (red), Dee (green), Spey (yellow) and Don (blue).
Boarders slept in dormitories in the main school building, although for a period senior boys were accommodated in the neighbouring Glebe House. Dormitories were originally given simple topographical names but were later renamed with an ornithological theme. The boys dorms included: Tower (which became Buzzard), South (Eagle), East (Harrier). The girls dorms were: Side (Lapwing), Middle (Heron), Back (Plover). The dormitories in Glebe House were given local place names: Cairnie, Cabrach, Botriphinie.
The school had a long-standing rivalry with nearbyAberlour House. Other regular sporting opponents includedDrumtochty CastleRannoch SchoolCroftinloan School, Lathallan,GordonstounPeterhead AcademyArdvreck School, Aberdeen Academy,Aberdeen Grammar SchoolandThe Gordon SchoolsHuntly.
Ken Ballantyne(1940 – 2016), Scottish athlete.
Malcolm Sinclair, 20th Earl of Caithness(born 1948),Conservativepolitician.
Grenville Johnston(born 1945), accountant andLord Lieutenant of Moray.
David Sole(born 1962), Scottish rugby union captain.
Blairmore House, the former schools premises, is a Victorian country house set amid 50 acres (200,000m2) of park and woodland beside the River Deveron, 6 miles (9.7km) from Huntly, 40 miles (64km) from Aberdeen and 60 miles (97km) from Inverness. The house was designed by the architectAlexander Marshall Mackenzie3and was built in 1884 as a private house for Alexander Geddes, a wealthy businessman and great-great grandfather of the former British Prime MinisterDavid Cameron. Camerons father, Ian Donald Cameron, was born in the house in 1932. Geddes made his fortune in Chicago in the US in the trading of grain in the 1850s, and a safe belonging to him which survived the Great Fire of Chicago was installed in the houses Billiard Room. During theSecond World Warit served as GHQ Home Forces for some of the Auxiliary Units based in Aberdeenshire and had a training area within the grounds of the house and nearby land. Auxunit Patrols was a special force consisting of between six and eight men trained in the utmost secrecy to a high standard. In the event of a German invasion, they would go to ground and carry out a clandestine war against the occupying forces.
After the schools closure, Blairmore House was run as a private hunting lodge for several years.4The building is now used as a prayer and intercession training school and retreat centre run by an evangelical Christian group called Ellel Ministries.56
Blairmore House is a Category Clisted building.7
Blairmore Corporate School Tartan. Tartans of Scotland
Blairmore House. Dictionary of Scottish Architects. Archived fromthe originalon 28 September 2007
Ross Clark (26 January 2002).Highlands for the high life. Telegraph
Blairmore House (now Blairmore School) – Glass – Aberdeenshire – Scotland. British Listed Buildings. 11 September 1984
Coordinates:572644N25625W / 57.4456N 2.9403W /57.4456; -2.9403
This page was last edited on 12 September 2019, at 12:07